As we are preparing for the SuperBikes in two weeks it comes to mind just how far Melbourne has come in terms of wheelchair accessibility over the last 15 years and how there has been an increase in Wheelchair Accessible Public Events in Melbourne. When we first started out the SuperBikes, Motogp, Spring Racing Carnival… none of these were wheelchair accessible.
For the last 15+ years we have had the privilege of seeing Melbourne become more accessible to those using Wheelchairs in our community.
We have worked with major event organisers in Melbourne like the Australian Open, Motogp, Spring Racing Carnival, Superbikes and the President’s Cup Golf Tournament, facilitating wheelchair-accessible transportation across the various tracks, allowing for increased accessibility to those with limited mobility.
We are seeing first-hand how wheelchair accessibility is starting to become a standard for Melbourne sports events, whereby sport event organisers in Melbourne are now coming to us to request we help them become more accessible.
Whilst, we still hear terrifying stories from people with a lived experience of accessibility discrimination in Melbourne, at Wheelaway we still believe that the progress over the last 15 years indicates what’s possible for the next 15 years.
If you are a person in a wheelchair seeking an adrenalin rush and entertainment and want to join us at a sports event this year, see the list of events and dates we will be attending at the bottom of this article and contact us here.
If you are an event organiser in Melbourne or Sydney and seek to make your event more accessible please contact us here. We love collaborating with event organisers to increase accessibility in the community!
Join us at the below Sports Events
If you need to hire a wheelchair accessible vehicle give us a call on 1800 133 320
- Embracing Empowerment: Navigating Embarrassment and Shame While Living with a Disability
- Accessible Public Events in Melbourne
- Mount Dandenong’s Top 10: Wheelchair-Friendly Dining Delights
- Navigating Culinary Delights: Melbourne’s Top 10 Wheelchair-Accessible Restaurants
- Navigating NDIS Short-Term Accommodation and Respite: Guidelines, Rules, and Flexibility
- Wheelchair Accessible Restaurants Camberwell
- MLAK Disabled Key
- International Day of Disabled Persons
- Wheelchair Accessible Day Trip Melbourne
- What does it mean to be Wheelchair Accessible?
- Wheelchair Accessible Restaurants Fitzroy
- A Day Trip for Wheelchair Users In Melbourne
- A Wheelchair Accessible Day Trip In Shepparton
- A Wheelchair Accessible Day Trip In Warburton
- A Wheelchair Accessible Day Trip In The Blue Mountains
- A Wheelchair Accessible Day Trip On The Great Ocean Road
- A Wheelchair Accessible Day Trip In Phillip Island
- A Wheelchair Accessible Day Trip In Canberra
- Wheelchair Accessible Sovereign Hill
- A Wheelchair Accessible Day Trip In Daylesford
- A Wheelchair Accessible Day Trip In Melbourne
- A Wheelchair Accessible Day Trip In Geelong
- A Wheelchair Accessible Day Trip In Sydney
- A Wheelchair Accessible Day Trip In Regional Victoria
- Wheelchair Accessible Restaurants Melbourne
- Wheelchair Accessible Public Transport Melbourne
- Accessible Activities
- Wheelchair Accessibility
- Disabled Accessible
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Wheelchair Dancing
- Disabled Travel: Navigating the World as a Wheelchair User
- Disabled Travel Melbourne
- Disabled Access